First month in the house

It’s been almost a month since we moved in and we’re still unpacking and there’s still people walking around the house finishing minor things. The weekends are nice when no one is here working, but I enjoy seeing the daily progress. I spent a couple days installing perforated aluminum in the garage walls. It looks like about what I expected and serves its purpose to be a smooth surface along the stairs, but I’m undecided about whether I like it.

The steel work has been done and redone several times. Almost every piece has been brought in and found to be incorrectly-sized or has the fastener holes in the wrong place and they take them back out to remake them. This has happened to both companies, not just one. We’ve been waiting for months for the sliding door handles and one of them arrived yesterday and it looked great and then it disappeared. Mark said it was 1/16″ too narrow so they had to take it back and rebuild it. If these guys keep doing work for us, they’re going to go out of business!

After the backyard patio was removed and the ditches for the footings were dug, Westlake made the forms for the footings and those were poured. A couple days later, they started building the forms for the concrete walls, which takes much longer since the forms have to be perfectly aligned and the cone ties have to be placed where we want them for aesthetic reasons. This week, they poured the walls. Monday the forms should come off and we can see the walls and then the deck framing can begin.

On Tuesday, when Kelly is here and watching the kids at night, Gay and I went out to dinner to celebrate our 7th anniversary. We went to Anchovies & Olives, a restaurant by Seattle’s newest famous chef, Ethan Stowell. Aside from the aloof greeter, the service and food were wonderful. The food was in my top 10 of dining experiences, it’s been a while since I’ve been so impressed with a restaurant. And for the first time, I had a new cocktail that I’d order again and might try to make at home:

Loathsome Bastard: Rye Whiskey, Ramazzotti, Strega, Blood Orange Bitters, Peach Bitters

The restaurant is just a few minutes away by car. We’re still getting used to having so much stuff so nearby. We could’ve walked it in 25 minutes, which would have been a nice after-dinner walk.

Hudson’s been going to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays the last couple weeks and he’s loving it. Havana also had school just for the week this week, but Gay forgot until 45 minutes before she had to be there. She was supposed to bring an old piece of small furniture that she’d paint as the week’s project, but we weren’t prepared. Fortunately, we have a bunch of carpenters readily available. Mark and Tim quickly made a toy box out of some scrap wood for her and we made it to school with time to spare. She painted it blue with her name and stenciled animals on the sides. Very cute.

One thought on “First month in the house”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s